13 novembre 2008

Silk Scarves

I finally got started on stamping and painting a silk scarf.
These are the stamping results so far :

I’m not used to work with silk and I barely dared to iron the silk on the freezer paper.
Not sure about the iron temperature I may use. And what about fixing the stamps on the silk.
What temperature may I use ? Lenna, please help ?
I once ruined an expensive silk blouse (long ago) and since then I just follow the rules : read the iron instructions on the clothes !
But the scarf doesn’t stick on the freezer paper.

It’s a week that we’re back home and I still ‘suffer’ from the jetlag. Addition a lot of work in the shop and a very ill dog that I love ( of course) very much.
Before I started to play-play in my studio, I first wanted to sort my pictures from New Orleans and Houston. That’s almost done !
And before I could start playing with paint I had to sort the paints. Done !
In fact this was all done on Sunday.

Monday evening my new sewing machine was delivered and I played with my new toy till midnight. The next day I added a sewed text on a mixed-media surface and this is the result :
The background is an assembled white cotton denim.
I wetted and crunched the surface and let it dry. Once dry, I added gesso.
Once the gesso was dry I added paint and some ink design.
On that I added stamped tyvek and I embroidered (without any problems) some quotes on the two layers. I zapped the tyvek with a heat tool.
Now I know that I can add text to my art.
Not knowing how it will look at the end is a bit scary.
I prefer knowing where I go before I start.
I’m not an ‘impulsive’ girl.
At least not in my art...

“The golden rule is that there are no golden rules.”
George Bernard Shaw

Write you soon
Nathalie

1 commentaire:

creativelenna a dit…

Dear Nathalie,
I just now (11/18) saw what you have written . . . I did not know you had posted, so thank you for emailing me and alerting me!

You wrote:
I’m not used to work with silk and I barely dared to iron the silk on the freezer paper. Not sure about the iron temperature I may use. And what about fixing the stamps on the silk.
What temperature may I use ? Lenna, please help ?
I once ruined an expensive silk blouse (long ago) and since then I just follow the rules : read the iron instructions on the clothes !
But the scarf doesn’t stick on the freezer paper.
-----

You need to use as hot a temperature as the fabric will allow. You can look on your iron for the silk setting, but you may try a little hotter than that especially if you use a piece of parchment or a press cloth.

I think the iron was probably not hot enough to attach the freezer paper to the silk. You can always place the silk down first, then the freezer paer (shiny side facing the silk) and then iron.

When the stamping and painting is done, you do need to iron as hot as you can with the silk fabric (not the hottest setting - that would be too much) to set the inks and dyes. Use something to protect the silk & write me again if you have questions!

lenna (sorry this is so long!)
https://www.alittlecreativespace.com/