13 juin 2008

Pumpkin flower and early work

This quilt is still one of my favourites.
I had so much trouble drawing the design and finding the right fabric…
I spend hours looking for greens and at last dyed some.
It hangs in my kitchen where I can see it every day.


What a difference with my early work !
Like many of us I started with classic themes, but combined different techniques :
In this quilt, I used machine-appliqué, Seminole, piecing and trapunto.
This quilt was entered in a national show in Belgium some years ago and was found ‘too modern’.

This was one of the turning points. In those days I also gave patchwork classes, made a new example for each class, searched for fresh ideas and executed them in fabric.
I was demotivated to continue giving classes because the majority was allergic to machine work, that was another turning point.

I stopped giving classes.
I choose to go ahead without looking back and go my way.

Never regretted my decision !

"I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure : Try to please everybody all the time"

Herbert Bayard Swope (1882-1958)

write you soon

Nathalie

Aucun commentaire: